DAWs, Reverbs, & Effects!
• Get in touch with your DAW
• Making Room–REC’s Reverb Roundup
• 36 Developers Pick Their Favorite Effect
Tracking and Mixing Lucette’s New Album: Deluxe Hotel Room
10 New Reviews:
Arturia • AVID Technology • Best Service • Cherry Audio
•Goodhertz LaChapell Audio • LiquidSonics • MOTU
PreSonus • Reverb Foundry • SSL Steinberg • u-he
Universal Audio • UVI • VahallaDSP • Wave Arts • Waves
Steinberg AXR4 Thunderbolt 2 Audio Interface
Steinberg hits hard with a well-connected, impeccably designed, high-resolution audio interface
Steinberg is one of the world’s premier DAW developers and it excels at audio interface design as well (check out the UR series). Steinberg is part of the Yamaha Corporation family, and its hardware line rides the mothership that makes Yamaha digital and analog mixers an industry standard. READ FULL REVIEW
Why Clarity Matters
Knowing where distortion creeps into your signal is the first step toward removing it—and vastly improving your sound
We all want our recordings to sound like the Big Guys’ studios Downtown. Ocean Way. Trident. Muscle Shoals. Hit Factory. We want that big sound, that clean, clear, driving, high energy, smooth, alive, and suave sound that spells professionalism and (we hope) sells records.
READ FULL ARTICLE
Recording’s Readers’ Tracks is where respected engineer and producer Marty Peters listens to your recordings and critiques them, pointing out where and how you can make them better. Listen to the songs, read the reviews, and submit your own materials online via upload.
Artist Name: Timo Title: Water and Trees Genre: Folk
“Water and Trees” is an acoustic folk ballad written, produced, recorded, and mixed by Timo Pulkkinen aka Timo. That’s him on lead vocals, acoustic guitar, double bass, flute, and drums. Jepa Lambert provided background vocals, Pekka Peltonen played mandolin, and Jaakko Kiikeri rounded things out on electric guitar. The arrangement was a group effort, and the finished mix was mastered by Pauli Saastamoinen at Finnvox Studios in Helsinki. READ THE FULL REVIEW
REC’s six monthly Sound Advice bulletins offer great advice:
- On Vocals: Useful advice on recording the best vocals.
- On Guitars: Miked or direct, electric or acoustic, ways to capture great guitar sounds.
- On Drums: Great techniques for recording drums.
- On Mastering & Mixing: Practical mastering topics for at-home users and tips on how to mix better songs.
- On Acoustics: Learn how to make your room sound better.
- On Digital Audio: All about digital and computer audio.