Electric Guitar–Capture Your Tone!
• 37 guitar mics – which one is best for you?
• Vance Powell on recording and mixing the Stray Cats
• Christine “Kingfish” Ingram – the sound of blues guitar
Throwback To The Future–The History Of Blues Recording
10 New Reviews:
BOSS • GFI System • IK Multimedia • Lauten Audio
LEWITT • PSI Audio • STL Tonality • Strymon
PSI Audio A17-M Studio Monitors
Crystal-clear Swiss precision in a powerful desktop monitor
Located in Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland, PSI Audio Audio manufactures high-end loudspeakers. The company launched in 1977 with a goal “to transform the electrical signal into an acoustic signal as accurately as possible so that the listener can hear and appreciate all the beauty and details.” READ FULL REVIEW
Vance Powell On Mixing The Raconteurs’ Help Us Stranger
It has been 11 years since The Raconteurs recorded Consolers of the Lonely, but sometime last year Jack White (vocals, guitar), Brendan Benson (vocals, guitar), Jack Lawrence (bass guitar), and Patrick Keeler (drums) entered White’s studio at Third Man Records to cut their latest LP, Help Us Stranger, which is set for release on on June 21st, 2019. READ FULL ARTICLE
Recording’s Readers’ Tracks is where respected engineer and producer Marty Peters listens to your recordings and critiques them, pointing out where and how you can make them better. Listen to the songs, read the reviews, and submit your own materials online via upload.
Artist Name: Dan Desroches Title: Girl of My Dreams Genre: Rock
Dan has submitted a pretty successful effort here, that could be even more so with a bit of sonic housekeeping. In his production notes, he tells us that drums are his primary instrument, although in our opinion he’s done a darn good job on all his instrumentation.
Where we find issue with the track is more on the arrangement end of things. The art of mixing is indeed an art, and there are many ways to approach it. Some prefer to mix “from the bottom up,” meaning they start with the drums and bass and build things up from there. Others center on the vocals and… READ THE FULL REVIEW
REC’s six monthly Sound Advice bulletins offer great advice:
- On Vocals: Useful advice on recording the best vocals.
- On Guitars: Miked or direct, electric or acoustic, ways to capture great guitar sounds.
- On Drums: Great techniques for recording drums.
- On Mastering & Mixing: Practical mastering topics for at-home users and tips on how to mix better songs.
- On Acoustics: Learn how to make your room sound better.
- On Digital Audio: All about digital and computer audio.